Friday, June 4, 2010

The Southern Cross!

Hello All,

Well apparently we are far south enough to see the Southern Cross. It was a very starry night last night as Venus shone almost so bright that it could light your way around the ship. Shortly after my midnight watch started the moon was mistaken for a ship as it rose not so subtly over the horizon. It was a beautiful, 0000-0400 watch, although still hot and quite sticky! After I got off watch the ships "mom" made the off going watch some delicious breakfast sandwiches YUM! I slept clear till 1100 when I had to get up get some lunch and head back to watch again. A pretty uneventful afternoon watch with clear blue skies light winds and a strong current making steering a challenge. After watch I was able to go to the gym and then settle in for some dinner a movie and sea bag making time. At 2000 we had a freshman test, on helmsman and lookout. It was a challenge with some surprising questions yet I still felt I did well. I have but 3 hours before my next watch and then we arrive in Guam at 0930 tomorrow! I cannot wait to relax in the sun. Enjoy the picture of me steering the ship. Ta Ta!

V/R,

CDT Jonathan Anderson
Squad Leader, Division 6 MT
Corps of Cadets
California Maritime Academy

No comments:

Post a Comment