Monday, June 28, 2010

Aloha Hawaii! My Last Post :(

Aloha!

Well we arrived in Honolulu harbor, Hawaii; our last port in Cruise 1 2010. I was fortunate enough to go to the pier to help tie up the ship today, we launched our fast rescue boat and it zipped us over to the pier to tie up mooring lines. The remainder of the day today was spent on kitchen duty...again. My room is all packed up and everyone is busy cleaning and moving their stuff out of their rooms and to the top deck to leave tomorrow. Tomorrow at 0500 everyone aboard is waking up, putting the final touches on their rooms and then we have one last clean sweep down and off we go, hopefully before noon.

This summer has by far been the best summer ever. Leaving San Francisco aboard the 500 foot Training Ship Golden Bear, the Cal Maritime cadets traveled 4,930 miles across the Pacific Ocean to Busan, South Korea. Another 1,050 miles east to Kobe, Japan. Then past Iwo Jima 1,386 miles to the island of Guam. North up the chain and around the Marianas Islands to beautiful Saipan and then 3,250 miles back east across the Pacific to our last stop Honolulu, Hawaii.

In 2 months I have traveled 10,746 miles, been at sea for 45 days and ashore for 16. I met people from 3 very different cultures, attempted to communicate in Korean, Japanese, and Chamorro. I swam in the Sea of Japan, ate puffer fish, whale and horse meat. I walked endless miles from our ship to the cities we visited. Got lost in a cab since the driver didn't speak English. I saw ancient castles and visited holy shrines. I flirted with girls and made a fool of myself in the middle of Japan. I snorkeled in the most beautiful place on earth, Marianas Islands. I swam in the unbelievable Grotto and saw the island of Iwo Jima. I also stood 20 watches, in the freezing cold and the blistering hot. I got seasick, learned how to navigate, steer, use radar, and take sun/star azimuths. I even started reading books again, 3 to be exact.

Going to sea and learning all the amazing things about other cultures and ship board life wasn't the only thing I developed. Along with me on cruise was 200 of the most amazing and supportive group of friends I have ever had. I made friendships that will last a lifetime. I have grown so close to these people on board that I have given my trust and respect to them all. All of the people on board are truly my shipmates and I am excited to continue to grow and learn alongside them in the coming years.

Thank you for following me on my voyage to the far east, it has truly been a life changing experience.

Fair Winds and Following Seas!

V/R,

CDT Jonathan Anderson
Squad Leader, Division 6 MT
Corps of Cadets
California Maritime Academy

No comments:

Post a Comment